This congregation began worshiping in the Wesconnett community on October 28, 1956, thus deriving its name as the Wesconnett Church of Christ. We began worshiping in an old one-story frame house located across the driveway under the sycamore trees, which had 6 rooms and a bath.
The attendance at the first service consisted of 38 adults and 22 children. Twenty-five of those in attendance were members of the church, who for the most part, were former members of the Lakeshore Church of Christ.
Our first preacher was Brother Neal Thompson, who preached for us part-time until May 31, 1958. Our first gospel meeting was conducted by Brother S. P. Lowery of Dayton, Ohio, on the first Sunday in December through December 12, 1956. There were two persons who obeyed the gospel during this meeting—Bert Poarch and Betty Wright. They were baptized by Bro. Thompson in the Willow Branch Church of Christ baptistery. The Willow Branch Church has since relocated at Post and Nelson Church of Christ.
In order for us to enter into our first building program, the church had to be incorporated under the laws of the State of Florida; therefore, on April 3, 1957, the church was incorporated as the Wesconnett Church of Christ, a corporation not for profit.
We worshiped in the old one-story frame house until January 26, 1958, at which time we completed a one-story masonry building 40’ x 80’ consisting of an auditorium, which would seat approximately 200 people, four classrooms, nursery, two restrooms, furnace room and a baptistery. Seating for the auditorium consisted of metal folding chairs gang mounted on 1 x 4 inch boards. We purchased new pews and pulpit furniture in May, 1958. In December, 1958, we completed an addition to the above building consisting of 3 new classrooms and one restroom, making a total of 7 classrooms and 3 restrooms.
Our first full-time preacher was Brother Stanley Crews, who came to work with us on June 1, 1958, until February 23, 1960. The growth during his tenure was from 58 to 139 members.
Brother Paul Askew came to work with us from June 6, 1960, until February 2, 1964. During this time, we outgrew our first new building and, on May 31, 1962, we negotiated a first mortgage bond issue to build a new auditorium that would seat approximately 500 people with a new baptistery, two dressing rooms and two equipment rooms. The old auditorium was converted into a large nursery, one classroom with the balance being utilized as a fellowship room until 1966, at which time, it was converted into 4 additional classrooms and a utility room. This made a total of 14 classrooms.
Brother Wallace Maxwell came to work with us on March 20, 1964, and left on June 13, 1993. During this time, the congregation had a continual growth.
Brother Mark Mosher began working with us on July 4, 1993, and left in September, 2000.
Brother James Colwell came to work with us on January, 2001, and left in December, 2008.
Brother Johnie Scaggs began working with us in November, 2009, and left in November, 2013.
Brother David Dixon began working with us in February, 2015, and left in May, 2018.
Brother Jason E. Ridgeway is presently the minister and began working with us in February, 2019.
In February, 1966, the following elders were appointed: Bert Poarch, Charles Miller, Glen McCallister, Adrian Barnes, and Lyndon Beard.
The first annual budget adopted by the elders was $22,616, or $435 per week.
In April, 1966, the following deacons were appointed; Norman Cutting, Harry Golden, Fred Henry, David O’Steen, Danny Pack, Clay Strickland, and Jim Wright.
In June, 1968, we purchased a parcel of land adjoining the church property on the north side and to the rear, running from Wesconnett Boulevard to the fishing creek. This tract consists of approximately 5 acres and was purchased to provide additional parking, expansion of our educational facility, and building site for a new house for the minister on one tract of land.
Beginning June, 1971, Wesconnett supported Ron Stullenbarger in Cumberland, Maryland, for 6 ½ years until the church was self-supporting.
In August, 1972, the $40,000 bond program that was purchased to build the new auditorium was paid in full on August 23.
In November, 1972, the church negotiated another bond program in the amount of $90,000 to be utilized to expand our educational building by 8,176 square feet, 12 additional classrooms and 2 restrooms, and an equipment-storage room; and also building a new house for the minister on the rear of the property next to the fishing creek.
In September, 1973, the Greater Jacksonville Christian School began to use our educational facilities.
On November 7, 1982, special all-day services were conducted with dinner on the grounds. Ministers who spoke were Neal Thompson, Stanley Crews, and Larry Albritton. Bert Poarch, a charter member of the Wesconnett congregation, gave a brief history of the congregation. Special notice was given to liquidation of all indebtedness on the Wesconnett Church property.
In July, 1983, under the sponsorship of the Wesconnett Church, a new congregation was started in Middleburg, Florida, designated as the Black Creek Church of Christ. In August, 1983, with some outside assistance, Wesconnett purchased a five-acre plot on Highway 218 at the cost of $37,000 for a permanent location for the Black Creek Church of Christ. The building was completed on December 15, 1985. Part-time preachers were supported by the Wesconnett congregation until March, 1985, at which time Steve Atnip was employed as a full-time minister for the Black Creek Church. He was fully supported by Wesconnett until Black Creek paid off their building on July 1, 1995, and the congregation became completely self-supporting.
In January, 1988, approximately 4.8 acres of property was purchased to begin the West Nassau Church of Christ. On April 2, 1989, the West Nassau congregation began worshiping in a rented building awaiting construction on their building. On January 28, 1990, there was a bond kickoff at the Wesconnett Church of Christ to sell bonds totaling $125,000. The West Nassau Church worshiped in their new building for the first time on September, 1990. Paul Pickren was employed as the preacher and worked with the congregation until January, 1994. Stephen Bedard preached for the congregation from November, 1994, to August, 1995.
The charter members still worshiping at Wesconnett are Bert & Anita Poarch.
The following ministers have served the Wesconnett congregation: Paul Askew, James Colwell, Stanley Crews, David Dixon, Ellis Long, Wallace Maxwell, Mark Mosher, Jason E. Ridgeway, Johnie Scaggs, and Neal Thompson.
The following have been associates at Wesconnett: Jackie Adams, Larry Albritton, Arnold Baggett, Larry Bean, Alan Bush, John Cotchaleovitch, David Coy, Paul Pickren, and Trent Wheeler.
Those who have served as elders at Wesconnett are; Joe Adams, Mike Anderson, Adrian Barnes, Dave Barnes, Lyndon Beard, Harvey Boyette, Claude Carr, John Cotchaleovitch, Jim Davis, Allen Ecklof, Barry Enzor, Randy Haney, U. K. Lammons, Wallace Maxwell, Glen McCallister, Dick Mechling, Charles Miller, Jim Parrish, Bert Poarch, Walt Podein, and Buddy Wallace.
Those who have served as deacons at Wesconnett are: Eddie Adcock, Mike Anderson, Paul Atnip, Jim Bailey, Dave Barnes, Dekle Bethea, Joe Binzcak, Harvey Boyette, Jim Carr, John Cotchaleovitch, Gil Crocker, Norman Cutting, O. T, Davis, Allen Ecklof, Barry Enzor, Ron Esterak, David Esdale, Peter Esdale, Larry Fultz, Terry Genton, Jerry Glidewell, Harry Golden, Cecil Goodin, Tim Gotkiewicz, Kelly Geurin, Randy Haney, Fred Henry, Quent Herring, Jim Hickox, L. T. Hogan, David Hutson, Steve Lackey, Steve Lancaster, Jerry Love, Ed Malin, Dan Marbury, Don Miller, Lynn Miller, Les Mize, David O’Steen, Danny Pack, Walt Podein, Joe Rosa, Clay Strickland, Matt Taylor, Bill Thornhill, Matt Taylor, Matt Tuttle, Craig Welch, Mike Wilson, Jim Wright, Walter Young, Jerry Zimmerman, and Bill Zlatovich.
There have been many preachers who have come to hold gospel meeting throughout the years here are the names of some of those men: Rico Brown, Joshua Brandon Cantrell, Scott Cain, Elliott Glasgow, Stan Crowley, Burt Jones, Clarence DeLoach, Gary Colley, Johnie Scaggs, Jr., Tom Miller, Jimmy Clark, Billy Smith, Bob McAnally, Mack Lyon, Edwin Jones, Flavil Nichols, Glen Hitchcock, Frank Chesser, Wallace Maxwell, Keith Mosher, Jackie Stearsman, Guy N. Woods, Ron Stullenbarger, Harold Taylor, Coleman Crocker, David Pharr, Andrew Connally, Ron McIndoo, Malcolm Hill.