- GETTING SOMETHING
September 27, 2017
- GETTING SOMETHING
This congregation began worshipping in the Wesconnett community on October 28, 1956, thus deriving its name as the Wesconnett Church of Christ. We began worshipping in an old one-story frame house located across the driveway under the sycamore trees, which had 6 rooms and a bath. The attendance at the first service consisted of 38 adults and 22 children.
We worshipped in the old one-story frame house until January 26, 1958, at which time we completed a one-story masonry building 40’ x 80’ consisting of an auditorium, which would seat approximately 200 peo-ple, four classrooms, nursery, two restrooms, furnace room and a baptistry.
Brother Paul Askew came to work with us from June 6, 1960, until February 2, 1964. During this time, we outgrew our first new building and, on May 31, 1962, we negotiated a first mortgage bond issue to build a new auditorium that would seat approximately 500 people with a new baptistry, two dressing rooms and two equipment rooms. The old auditorium was converted into a large nursery, one classroom with the balance being utilized as a fellowship room until 1966, at which time, it was converted into 4 additional class-rooms and a utility room. This made a total of 14 classrooms.
In June, 1968, we purchased a parcel of land adjoining the church property on the north side and to the rear, running from Wesconnett Boulevard to the fishing creek.
In November, 1972, the church negotiated another bond program in the amount of $90,000 to be utilized to expand our educational building by 8,176 square feet, 12 additional classrooms and 2 restrooms, and an equipment-storage room; and also building a new house for the minister on the rear of the property next to the fishing creek.
In July, 1983, under the sponsorship of the Wesconnett Church, a new congregation was started in Mid-dleburg, Florida, designated as the Black Creek Church of Christ. The building was completed on December 15, 1985. In January, 1988, approximately 4.8 acres of property was purchased to begin the West Nassau Church of Christ. The West Nassau Church worshipped in their new building for the first time on September, 1990.
The charter members still worshipping at Wesconnett are Bert & Anita Poarch.
The following ministers have served the Wesconnett congregation: Paul Askew, James Colwell, Stanley Crews, Ellis Long, Wallace Maxwell, Mark Mosher, Johnie Scaggs, and Neal Thompson.
The following have been associates at Wesconnett: Jackie Adams, Larry Albritton, Arnold Baggett, Larry Bean, Alan Bush, John Cotchaleovitch, David Coy, Paul Pickren and Trent Wheeler.
Those who have served as elders at Wesconnett are; Joe Adams, Mike Anderson, Adrian Barnes, Dave Barnes, Lyndon Beard, Harvey Boyette, Claude Carr, John Cotchaleovitch, Jim Davis, Allen Ecklof, Randy Haney, U. K. Lammons, Wallace Maxwell, Glen McCallister, Dick Mechling, Charles Miller, Jim Parrish, Bert Poarch, Walt Podein, Denny Smitherman and Buddy Wallace.
Those who have served as deacons at Wesconnett are: Eddie Adcock, Mike Anderson, Jim Bailey, Dave Barnes, Dekle Bethea, Joe Binzcak, Harvey Boyette, Jim Carr, John Cotchaleovitch, Gil Crocker, Norman Cutting, O. T, Davis, Allen Ecklof, Barry Enzor, Ron Esterak, David Esdale, Peter Esdale, Larry Fultz, Terry Genton, Jerry Glidewell, Harry Golden, Cecil Goodin, Tim Gotkiewicz, Kelly Geurin, Randy Haney, Fred Henry, Quent Herring, Jim Hickox, L. T. Hogan, David Hutson, Steve Lackey, Steve Lancaster, Jerry Love, Ed Malin, Dan Marbury, Lynn Miller, Les Mize, David O’Steen, Danny Pack, Walt Podein, Joe Rosa, Clay Strickland, Bill Thornhill, Mike Wilson, Jim Wright, Walter Young, Jerry Zimmerman and Bill Zlatovich.
5223 Wesconnett Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32210
Phone: (904) 771-5075